Friday, September 26, 2008

Our Experiments: Cooking The Stuff We Grow

Recipe for Success


You know, I believe the real test of how good our products is not in the “looking” but rather in the “cooking”. No matter how well they look, if they are not good to eat, it makes no sense. Of course, there is some truth in the saying that what is good for you is generally not good to eat! Well, I hope we can be different in our farm.



To tell you the truth, I am not a cook at all, but after seeing the vegetables grow so well, I am inspired to at least try. Right now, I am still at the theoretical stages of my emerging career as a cook. It is really hard going. I keep trying to figure out what would be a good formula, convince some team member to cook it, only to find out that real cooking just does not work that way. Ah well, great cooks do not think like engineers I guess.


MUSHROOM SASHIMI, anyone?

Today, I had a great idea. I love sashimi and I love wasabi sauce with pickled ginger. Problem is that if I eat too much raw fish, my stomach is set free. Not a nice event. I found out that if I blanch a fresh mushroom slice (cut to that approximate shape of a sashimi) in boiling water that is slightly salted, it tastes like sashimi – smooth and slippery. Being the great engineer that I am, I decided that blanching in slightly salted boiling water is just too much work for just a small plate of sashimi mushrooms, so I slightly salt the mushroom slices, wet them and put them into a microwave oven set at medium power for a minute or so. Presto, mushroom sashimi!


Next I prepare some wasabi and mix it into the required soy sauce. Place some pickled ginger and we are ready - a healthy, protein rich, organic dish, ready in minutes.


Take a look at this picture.


My next challenge - to create a range of different sauces. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: